We have seen the natural progression in the SDA Church from the alpha to the omega of heresies, deception, apostasy, and spiritualism. Following are just some of the events that led to where the Church is today.
Alpha of apostasy
John Harvey Kellogg’s pantheism in The Living Temple book.
Omega of apostasy
The General Conference of SDAs voted accreditation for the SDA colleges, which paved the way for adopting the world’s curriculum, calling for higher education, with pastors attending interfaith universities and learning false ideas. Pacific Union College in California became the first to be accredited in 1932. As of 2006, over 100 SDA schools worldwide were listed as being accredited.
Questions on Doctrine book (changes on the nature of sin and the nature of Christ).
Rock music and television.
Celebration services; lowered standards; New Theology.
Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP); church planting/growth; charismatic movement; Vatican representative and Vatican flag at SDA General Conference Sessions.
2000 to present:
Spiritualism through the Purpose-driven, New Age, and Emerging Church movements.
All these changes and many more brought in new SDA church members quickly. The Church received much quantity but not much quality. What is underlying in all this? Love of money, popularity, power, pride—being unconverted in a Laodicean state. The growing apostasy in the SDA Church is the result of the majority ignoring their own sins and those of others, and souls are lost for eternity. As Jesus looks down on the remnant church today, He does not see a pretty picture.
Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 5, p. 72
As Jesus views the state of His professed followers today, He sees base ingratitude, hollow formalism, hypocritical insincerity, pharisaical pride and apostasy.
Apostasy means a walking away from Bible truth and the testimonies. If individuals or churches do not speak out against apostasy, they become a part of it.
Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 6, p. 130
There is no time now to fill the mind with theories of what is popularly called "higher education." The time devoted to that which does not tend to assimilate the soul to the likeness of Christ is so much time lost for eternity. This we cannot afford, for every moment is freighted with eternal interests.
Christ Triumphant, p. 349
Look, you who are hesitating between obedience and disobedience. Look in imagination at the vast multitudes worshiping at Satan’s altar. Listen to the music, to the language—called higher education. But what has God written upon it? Mystery of iniquity.
Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 9, p. 171
To prepare to receive the higher education in the school above is now to be our purpose.
Selected Messages, Book 1, p. 200
In the book Living Temple there is presented the alpha of deadly heresies. The omega will follow, and will be received by those who are not willing to heed the warning God has given.... Dangers that we do not now discern will soon break upon us, and I greatly desire that they shall not be deceived.
Ibid., p. 202
One and another come to me, asking me to explain the positions taken in Living Temple. I reply, "They are unexplainable." The sentiments expressed do not give a true knowledge of God. All through the book are passages of Scripture. These scriptures are brought in in such a way that error is made to appear as truth. Erroneous theories are presented in so pleasing a way that unless care is taken, many will be misled.
We need not the mysticism that is in this book. Those who entertain these sophistries will soon find themselves in a position where the enemy can talk with them, and lead them away from God. It is represented to me that the writer of this book is on a false track. He has lost sight of the distinguishing truths for this time. He knows not whither his steps are tending. The track of truth lies close beside the track of error, and both tracks may seem to be one to minds which are not worked by the Holy Spirit, and which, therefore, are not quick to discern the difference between truth and error.
Manuscript Releases, Vol. 11, p. 247
The difficulties that have arisen have been very hard to meet, and they are far from being settled yet. One, and another, and still another are presented to me as having been led to accept the pleasing fables that mean the sanctification of sin. Living Temple contains the alpha of a train of heresies.
Ibid., p. 251
The Word of God is to be a lamp to your feet. That precious, sacred Word, is not to be appealed to to uphold any spiritualistic, philosophical views regarding God, for He is dishonored by such views.
No greater deception could be presented to the minds of men than the representation you have made of God in the pleasing fables you have advocated. Souls will be lost through the sowing of the sentiments found in Living Temple. In presenting error you have united with the prince of darkness in his work of seducing souls to eternal ruin.
The influence you have obtained with worldlings is not the credit to you that you have supposed it to be. Unless you change, decidedly change, your life will be a savor of death unto death instead of a savor of life unto life.
Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 2, p. 123
Accumulated light has shone upon God's people, but many have neglected to follow the light, and for this reason they are in a state of great spiritual weakness. It is not for lack of knowledge that God's people are now perishing. They will not be condemned because they do not know the way, the truth, and the life. The truth that has reached their understanding, the light which has shone on the soul, but which has been neglected or refused, will condemn them. Those who never had the light to reject, will not be in condemnation. What more could have been done for God's vineyard than has been done? Light, precious light, shines upon God's people; but it will not save them, unless they consent to be saved by it, fully live up to it, and transmit it to others in darkness.
Selected Messages, Book 1, p. 197
Be not deceived; many will depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils. We have now before us the alpha of this danger. The omega will be of a most startling nature.
The awful results can now be seen because the beginning of apostasy was allowed to continue until it is now the omega. It is certainly of a “most startling nature” and can be seen today with the New Age and emerging church movements in the SDA institutions. The “dam has broken,” and a flood of errors has entered God’s beloved church. Only He can help now.
Testimonies for the Church, Vol. 5, p. 217
I am filled with sadness when I think of our condition as a people. The Lord has not closed heaven to us, but our own course of continual backsliding has separated us from God. Pride, covetousness, and love of the world have lived in the heart without fear of banishment or condemnation. Grievous and presumptuous sins have dwelt among us. And yet the general opinion is that the church is flourishing and that peace and spiritual prosperity are in all her borders.
The church has turned back from following Christ her Leader and is steadily retreating toward Egypt. Yet few are alarmed or astonished at their want of spiritual power. Doubt, and even disbelief of the testimonies of the Spirit of God, is leavening our churches everywhere. Satan would have it thus. Ministers who preach self instead of Christ would have it thus. The testimonies are unread and unappreciated. God has spoken to you. Light has been shining from His word and from the testimonies, and both have been slighted and disregarded. The result is apparent in the lack of purity and devotion and earnest faith among us.
Let each put the question to his own heart: "How have we fallen into this state of spiritual feebleness and dissension? Have we not brought upon ourselves the frown of God because our actions do not correspond with our faith? Have we not been seeking the friendship and applause of the world rather than the presence of Christ and a deeper knowledge of His will?" Examine your own hearts, judge your own course. Consider what associates you are choosing. Do you seek the company of the wise, or are you willing to choose worldly associates, companions who fear not God and obey not the gospel?
Manuscript Releases, Vol. 7, p. 197
Confederacies will increase in number and power as we draw nearer to the end of time. These confederacies will create opposing influences to the truth, forming new parties of professed believers who will act out their own delusive theories. The apostasy will increase. "Some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils." Those who have started this warfare at their own charges will come more and more to practice the works of Satan.
Ibid., Vol. 9, p. 212
If the power of Satan can come into the very temple of God, and manipulate things as he pleases, the time of preparation will be prolonged.
Ibid., Vol. 7, p. 174
And to be an apostate, a traitor to the cause of God, is much more serious than death; it means the loss of eternal life.
Ibid., p. 185
The apostasy will exist in this night of spiritual darkness. It will then be destroyed by the brightness and exceeding glory of Christ's coming. Oh, what a day of gladness for the righteous that will be! What a breaking up of the spell of fanaticism and delusive sentiments when Christ shall shine forth before his ancients gloriously. Then the system of Satanic delusion which souls have preferred to the truth that involves a cross will be broken up.
Ernie’s dreams: examples of apostasy
A View of Heaven
- Irreverent worship services, which include Christian rock and modern praise music.
Build an Ark
- Many listen to man’s opinion instead of God’s and fail to hear His voice in the messages of the dreams.
- The work is great, but the workers are few.
- Many no longer share or believe in the messages from the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy and that Jesus is coming soon; books are sent out that are not from God but from another author.
- Because many ignore and provoke the true God and worship other gods, He will pour out His wrath on them.
- Church members do not want to hear how Satan gradually brought in compromise.
- The majority believe the faithful minority are wrong in their beliefs.
Watch, as I AM Coming!
- The keeping of Jewish traditions, holidays, feast days, and lunar Sabbaths.
- Adding man’s opinions to God’s Word.
- Setting dates for Christ’s Second Coming.
- Using unreliable Bible versions.
- Rejecting Ellen White as God’s messenger.
- Compromising standards.
If You Love Me
- Arguing over finite details.
- Belief in the Bible Code.
- The study of unbiblical ancient rituals.
- Wasting valuable time examining old studies of the seven thunders (Jeff Pippenger), which are not important to salvation.
The SDA Church
- While in church, not having your thoughts on the service or dressing in a worldly or casual style.
The various styles of SDA churches can be termed as follows:
- The Buffet Church: Allows food in the foyer and sanctuary.
- The Total Grace Church: “We have been saved in our sins.” “Amen! Sin and be forgiven; Jesus has saved us.”
- The Scorekeeper Church: Places emphasis on church growth and the number of baptisms, whether the candidate is ready or not. “IN, UNDER and OUT!”
- The Sports Church: “Jesus will beat the opposing team. We have a victory at His touchdown. The game is won!” The people cheer, holding their drinks and snacks up, saying, “Go team Jesus.”
- The Hypnotic Church: The pastor talks very smoothly about love and grace, speaks only about certain parts of the Bible, shares how we are to learn new ideas, and mentions such terms as “community of faith” and “innovation.” He uses certain hand and arm movements, slowly walking from one side of the platform to the other. The members become relaxed and lulled into a sleepy stupor.
- The Charismatic Church: Uses a screen up front with words on it. As the members sing, they raise their hands and wave them back and forth. The song constantly repeats itself, with no verse of inspiration. Many then step out into the aisle and begin slowly walking up and down, singing and waving their arms. Gradually they being skipping, and after a little more time they begin running up and down the aisle proclaiming they “have the spirit.” Next they begin speaking unintelligible languages.
- Includes storybooks that are not according to what is shown in Child Guidance by Ellen White.
- The CD, DVD, and music section includes material that is not inspiring, just entertaining. “Happening Tunes for Happening Times. Get Your ‘Vid’ On.”
- The Creeping Compromise book by Joe Crews is not sold at the Adventist Book Centers (ABCs). However, they do have some “really great novels. It is all ‘the rage.’”
A Great Work
- Eating a bad diet, overeating, etc.
- It is important that we understand what the tithe and offerings are being used for; much of it is used to promote spiritualism within the SDA Church.
- Many have become greedy and selfish, do what they can to get ahead, have lost sight of heaven, and because they are distracted with things of the world, they no longer watch for signs of Christ’s return to this earth.
- There are SDAs who believe they are saved because their names are on the church records.
Love and Rebuke
- Many are misconstruing and denying the messages; many go by what others say rather than praying and studying for themselves.
Testing the Spirits
- Many are looking just to the SDA leaders for guidance. However, even the “brightest lights” will go out.
- Many pastors and teachers are being dismissed from their jobs, because the funds placed in the offering baskets were squandered away and invested not in souls but in Satan’s gambling halls.
- The Love and Grace Church: Includes sermons and songs on the love and grace of Jesus, while members wave their arms and repeat the words: “Jesus is love and Jesus is grace. Jesus is grace and Jesus is love. Raise your hands to Jesus. Ask for His grace. Thank you for Your grace. We love You Jesus.”
- The Casual Communion/Offering Plate Church: The deaconesses go to the coffee cart in the foyer to collect Danish pastries and imitation grape juice. While in casual conversation, they cut the pastries into small pieces and pour the drink into small paper cups. The deacons walk up and down the aisles to pass out Wet Ones so all can clean their own shoes. The pastor tells everyone to make sure they show how much they love Jesus by putting a large amount of money into the offering plates.
In His Time
- Many pastors are leading their members astray. These are not God’s pastors.
- Many SDAs are deceived and need a thorough conversion.
Repent, as I AM Coming!
- Many SDAs are allowing Satan to use them and to cause unbelief in the messages.
- Those who are critical of the messages and cause discontent and spread lies must stand before God to answer for their deeds, if they do not repent. This especially applies to those pastors who do not verify what they have been told.
In the Heart of Jesus
- Many need a repentant spirit.
- It is a false theory that God does not kill or destroy.
- Some try to force their opinions on others to have them believe as they do.
- The majority in the SDA Church are in apostasy.
- It is false to state that the Holy Spirit is not a real Person and not a part of the Godhead.
- It is false to state that we can be saved in sin.
- Many depend on others rather than God for salvation.
- Many do not help those they can to give up their sins.
- Many love the treasures of this world.
The Amusement Park
- The majority of SDA Church members are promoting or being fooled by amusements, celebration worship services, NLP, and emerging church practices, etc.
- The majority do not have the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
- Many look good on the outside, but not on the inside.
- Many are hypocrites full of pride.
The Senior Bishop
- There are SDAs following Roman Catholic beliefs.
- The unfaithful SDAs are blaming the faithful for the problems in the Church.
- At present a majority of the SDA churches are about entertainment and glorifying man rather than God.
- There are irreverent SDA church services.
The Yellow Corvette
- Faithful SDAs are being censured or disfellowshipped, while those in open sin continue as leaders.
- Many pastors do not have a concern for those who have been disfellowshipped.
- Where are the pastors who visit and pray with members in their home?
- Spiritualism and paganism have entered the SDA Church.
- God is warning against Jewish legalism and trivia, against falsehood and laziness.
- Many highly educated individuals do not rely on God for help.
- There are SDAs who do not hear the voice of the Holy Spirit.
- There are SDA counselors who do not warn individuals about their sin of living a homosexual lifestyle. Those counselors will be held accountable to God, because homosexuality is not due to a genetic makeup but rather a chosen path of trampling on the holy institution of marriage.
- Among those who stand to receive eternal death are those who served as leaders and infiltrators in the SDA Church and who spoke truth and error. Also included are those who ignored, chastised and condemned God’s prophets and messengers.
The apostasy and spiritualism have come into the SDA churches gradually. It is the devil’s trick of creeping compromise, and the opposition has come from only a minority in the Church. Over time, it has spread worldwide and is accepted by the majority.
Counsels on Health, pp. 240-241
When there has been a departure from the right path, it is difficult to return. Barriers have been removed, safeguards broken down. One step in the wrong direction prepares the way for another. A single glass of wine may open the door of temptation which will lead to habits of drunkenness. A single vindictive feeling indulged may open the way to a train of feelings which will end in murder. The least deviation from right and principle will lead to separation from God and may end in apostasy.... It takes less time and labor to corrupt our ways before God than to ingraft upon the character habits of righteousness and truth. Whatever a man becomes accustomed to, be its influence good or evil, he finds it difficult to abandon.
Prophets and Kings, p. 479
Among the children of Israel who were carried captive to Babylon at the beginning of the seventy years' captivity were Christian patriots, men who were as true as steel to principle, who would not be corrupted by selfishness, but who would honor God at the loss of all things. In the land of their captivity these men were to carry out God's purpose by giving to heathen nations the blessings that come through a knowledge of Jehovah. They were to be His representatives. Never were they to compromise with idolaters; their faith and their name as worshipers of the living God they were to bear as a high honor. And this they did. In prosperity and adversity they honored God, and God honored them.
Other examples of apostasy include:
- The Moral Influence theory that God does not kill or destroy.
- Divorcing for unbiblical reasons.
- Calling the SDA Church “Babylon.”
- The belief that God cannot be called by that name.
- Reapplying past events in the Bible to the future, such as a prophetic day equaling one literal day after 1844.